Friday, July 25, 2008

Flashback Friday

I haven't done a flashback friday in awhile, so I feel a bit nostalgic and decided to go back to my time at Ricks College (96-98) in Idaho (Ricks College was a mormon 2 year college at the time, now it is called BYU Idaho and is a 4 year college). You will be hard pressed to find me post pictures of high school, mainly because I never thought those would be the best times. High school wasn't awful, but it wasn't particularly great either, and I was happy to move on because I had full expectation that there were better things ahead for me. And I was right. I found my closest friends in my college years and found out what it was like to be me and appreciate it. (And for those who went to Ricks, please tell me I'm not the only one who considers driving to Idaho with the sole purpose of getting Craigo's breadsticks?!)
This is me and my roommate Melissa, aka "Sla," she taught me to relish being an individual. Sometimes I still find myself wanting to fit in, but she showed me how be a part of something, but not change myself.
Here we are playing the Mormon version of quarters drinking game on a Sunday after church. Squirt, rootbeer, and orange soda were the drinks of choice. Believe me, Squirt burns when it is chugged.
At the Idaho Falls temple. I'm going to be seeing my friend Judy (left of me) next weekend. And I'm so excited. I still find those connections with my old friends so satisfying. I remember visiting her apartment and going in search of chocolate, because she always had a stash of candy. And she has the best sense of humor, she had the funniest labels for people, all my memories of her involve something that makes me laugh.
Modeling our hats we found at DI, hideous, yes, but equally entertaining.

So this post is dedicated to those footloose and fancy free days, when the most I had to worry about was passing tests and finding good clean fun. College editions still to come: UNLV, BYU, and U of Arizona.

6 comments:

Rachael said...

Is that Birch Plaza? That is where I lived 93-95! Some of the best times I have had! I loved Ricks College and I want to go back just to see the changes. I don't know if I had those bread sticks.
I think it would be fun to do college flashbacks! I haven't done a flashback in a long time!

Salinda W. said...

Wow, so fun to see you in your past! Its neat to get to see other sides of people. Oh and your free range kids was so cute! Makes me miss the mountains. You look great by the way!
Salinda

Judy said...

Ahhh. Ricks. I'm glad you put a picture of me on there (not for the reasons you think) but because at least people will see that the girl with the candy all the time was not 500lbs! Yikes. I miss spying on all the people on the other side of the complex coming home from their dates, redhaired girl, pigface... and most of all YOU! I'm glad you're coming up, it'll be great to see you.

Melissa B said...

Craigo's is now a full fledged restaurant on the otherside of town. Not just some hole in the wall that it used to be! Kevin is from Rexburg, so we go visit often. So much has changed...in a really good way.

Also, glad you liked the Brownie bars. They are my favorite, but I try not to make them very often. Kevin and I can pretty much polish a whole pan in about two days or less. Yikes, not good for the hips.

carterclan said...

you do such a creative blog! Fun to see your flashbacks and learn more about you.

Dizzy Kate said...

I can't wait to see a flash back Friday of U of A. I loved the pictures you posted. Some of my close friends were at Ricks the same years you were there. I love seeing pictures from your past.