Sunday, February 17, 2008

Busy Life

I haven't blogged in quite awhile. Life seems to be getting away from me more and more. But I had a fabulous weekend, in the fact that I was spiritually rejuvenated at Stake Conference and now feel like I can go forward again. Can't tell you how much I needed that.

Anyhow, Michael started crawling out of his crib a couple weeks ago, but didn't get really serious about making it a habit until last week, and then this weekend he has fully embraced that freedom, keeping me and/or Mark up from 3-7am this morning trying to get him back to bed. He finally fell asleep until about 8am. He had finally fallen back asleep after I put him back in his crib for the umpteenth time, so I crawled back into bed relishing the warmth and comfort, only to hear Jacob making his morning conversation to his mobile. I couldn't bring myself upright so I sent Mark to start the morning and I stayed in bed. So I am gearing up this week to move Michael to a twin bed. I figure if I am going to have to retrain him to stay in bed, might as well only have to do it once. Anyone have any words of advice?

I had a nice experience at work on Friday. I have a patient who is an older gentleman, a very nice man with cancer who had to have a neck operation and then ended up getting an infection in the bone (many of the neck operations can cause problems with swallowing). So when he first came to me he was on a puree and nectar thick liquid because of his swallowing issues. I have been able to advance him to mechanical soft food (soft chewable food) and thin liquids (regular drinks). I went in to seem him with a meal on Friday, to see how he was doing and to see if I could advance him to having no diet restrictions. He was shaking uncontrollably when I went in and was complaining of having trouble breathing. Respiratory therapy shortly came in a gave him a breathing treatment, I got him covered up, and the nurse gave him a relaxant. I knew he wasn't going to eat right then because he was so distressed, so I asked him what I could do for him and he said, "Nothing, just stay with me if you can." And so I did. I sat with him for about 30 minutes and held his hand, trying to warm it up. Gradually the shaking subsided, his breathing eased and he fell asleep. I have to say that it felt really good to be able to provide that comfort to him.

I hope the coming week gives us an opportunity to give a little bit of service and to remove ourselves from our own problems.

5 comments:

Steph Kjelstrom said...

when I put Jeffrey on a twin bed, he'd come out all the time, so I got a gate and put that up-but he wasn't a climber, I've heard of parents reversing the door lock so its on the outside and locking the kid in. They throw a fit the first few times but will eventually get it.

Jossie said...

Oh I feel you pain!!! Tyler did that for a while as well. My sister-in-law got a crib tent. For us, after about a week he stopped coming in the middle of the night (I really had to stick to just getting him back in bed each time he got out) but he wakes up too darn early (6am). Good luck! I think we're going to switch Tyler to a toddler bed soon as well. Hey, are you going to be able to come to Tyler's birthday party next Tuesday?

Jossie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dizzy Kate said...

I am so excited to get reconnected with you. I loved your post, especially the part about the old man where you work. What a wonderful opportunity to serve someone in need.

Kendra climbed out of her crib at 18 months and I had to teach her to sleep in her bed. I had never heard of the reverse door locking. I don't know if I could have done that at the time. All I did is stand by the door (it took a ton of patience) and every time she would get back up I would lay her down and say, "It's time to go to bed." It took about a week during naps and bedtime to get her to actually stay in the bed without getting up, but it was so worth it. She never tries to get out of bed now. I don't know if it will work with my second though. Okay, this comment is so long. I will end by saying again how excited I am to keep in contact with you through our blogs. : )

Rachael said...

Alexis started doing that at 1 years old and Eli didn't figure it out until he was 18 months old. We switched him to a bed right at the New Year and he does really well. It is a double so it gives him plenty of room to roll. I think he has only fallen out once but we hear him bang his head on the wall in the night.
I hope your patient is doing better! What an interesting job you have!