Monday, December 8, 2008

Playing Catch Up

The past few weeks have been a blur of holiday festivities, birthdays, sicknesses, and general busy-ness. My job at the outpatient clinic ended before thanksgiving (the outpatient side closed), so I transferred to the HealthSouth in Henderson, which is a horrendous drive. That only gives me 24 hours a week, so I have to go to some other buildings that I am now contracted with to get 12 more hours in each week. At least gas prices have gone down and I'm not feeling the miles quite as badly. Thankfully I still have my Wednesdays off and can be home with my boys and feel like the mom I should be. I still enjoy what I do and often think that eventhough I'm not at home, maybe I'm still where I need to be (don't get me wrong, I'm counting down the days- only 350 to go). Or maybe it is just I'm learning to accept this season of my life and make the most of it. It can be a humbling job though. Last week I had a 40 year old man who had been quite successful (he'd had a stroke and subsequent craniotomy aka brain surgery to relieve the swelling), laying in a diaper in bed in front of me trying to poop. Despite that, he is doing remarkably well. Working in healthcare reminds me how quickly things can change and try to remember to appreciate the good.

In other news I turned 31 last week and have been plucking white hairs out of my part, but shhhh, don't tell anyone I'm going gray. I got a new kitchen faucet from Costco (love that place, less than 1/2 the price of something comparable at Lowes). And I admire it everytime I'm in the kitchen. Here's a picture in case you want to admire it too. You are welcome to come over and sit with me in my kitchen and look at it, I'd even let you wash your hands.

We got the boys an early Christmas present and got a trampoline, I love it because the netting is inside the springs. The boys enjoy laying on it and watching the airforce jets fly overhead.

Thanksgiving was nice and low key at Miesha's house (Mark's sister) which was perfect for our boys, who enjoy not having competition for attention. Michael and Jacob even got to play a little Rockstar. The oldest nephew is a freshman in college and taking institute classes from the same teachers Mark and I had when we were at UNLV. Once again, I'm feeling old...


Michael's birthday was a great success (once he stopped crying and realized that all the stuff was for him!), we had cookies and ice cream since Michael doesn't like cake, and almost all the family in town was able to come. That is the one thing about living in Vegas, lots of family. I grew up without grandparents, aunts and uncles, and cousins around, so I really would like for my kids to have those family connections. Anyhow, Michael has been playing with everything he got, but seems to be favoring the Cars Mack truck at this point, eventhough his pirate ship did take her first maiden voyage in the bathtub tonight. Jacob really wanted the Mack truck, so after much sadness, Papa went and bought him one and apparently it was an absolutely magical moment when he got his own. That is something only a grandpa can get away with.

Mark is back into the swing of things with school and we are both looking forward to a relaxing Christmas. So that just about catches us up. I'm loving the holiday decorating this year and just enjoy feeling festive. It's still hard for me sometimes to feel Christmas-y without snow, but at least my house is feeling Christmas-y!

And if you buy only one holiday album this season, get this one- I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

9 comments:

Judy said...

Most of our "dates" end up being us wandering around Costco with our kids... so it also holds a dear spot in our hearts. Love the sink by the way... I'd love to wash my hands with it! Perfect excuse for a road trip.

Jenny said...

That pirate ship is awesome! I want one.

Melissa B said...

I really like your faucet, I may have to come over and admire it with you. I am on the hunt for something like that for my kitchen. Also, love the little Christmas trees by your cute bench. Very festive!

Sarah said...

I love that new faucet. We just bought one at Lowe's that hasn't been installed yet. I may have to return it, and buy the one you have.

Jossie said...

I have a pluck a few gray hairs myself now and again! Ick :-) Oh, Tyler is getting the same thing for Christmas! I'm so excited that he'll finally have something to do out back :-) I can't believe that Michael is 3! That means that it will soon be Tyler's birthday too :-( Can't he just stay this age forever?! I'm in love with it!

Salinda W. said...

I love your faucet. I can't believe your boys are so big... it doesn't really seem possible. I hope you do get to relax this Christmas and just enjoy.

Lynette said...

Yeah, we definetly should have hung out more...no reason we be fabulous friends now though right? We should get together sometime, I'm sure our boys could be great friends too:)

Jen said...

Love the pictures. Wish we could have been there for the bday party. We would have had to leave early since I worked that night :) I think you are lying about the gray hairs. It can't be true - you are yonger than me. Maybe redheads dont't gray - one can always hope! Miss you guys, hopefully we will come down in April for spring break. That's the plan right now. The kids inform me regularly that they miss their cousins.

Dizzy Kate said...

I'm so excited to see an update. I love seeing what your cute family is up to. I love the faucet and the trampoline. What kind of trampoline did you get (brand?) Where did you get it? Our girls are getting a trampoline for Christmas this year, but we haven't yet purchased it. I turned 31 in September and can't believe it! I remember my mom being in her 30's. It is so weird. Anyway, you look the same as you did in Tucson. You are so cute and a wonderful mom. I am always humbled when i see someone having health problems. You probably feel that way on an every day basis. You are wonderful!