Sunday, February 21, 2010

What matters most...

Yesterday I found out that an old friend lost her little 3 month old boy, likely to SIDS. My heart broke for her, and I cried for her loss, as a friend and as a mother. I cried as I thought about all she went through that day, as I thought about having to make funeral arrangements for a child. Megan is an amazing person, I know that she will feel the comfort only the plan of salvation and the sealing power can provide in such difficult times. But it made me grateful for my healthy boys. Made me thankful for a loving Heavenly Father and a Savior that felt not only each sin but each heartbreak and pain, and that He can bear her up because of it.
I spent the day reflecting, on things that are of importance and things that aren't. I spent time with a sister that I am so thankful is my best friend. I went into work and had my TB test checked, thankful that none of my family is so critically ill as the people I work with. As I drove around Las Vegas, I was so grateful that we have been blessed with good education and jobs and a secure home for my family, when there are so many that don't. I went to our Stake Conference last night and was thankful for good people all around me. Thankful for a husband who cherishes me. I came home and I snuggled each boy to sleep last night. At the end of the day I had come to the same conclusion, as I have in periods of reflection in the past. Very few things actually matter, but the things that do, matter a whole lot.

5 comments:

Jossie said...

Oh my gosh that is so sad! My thoughts and prayers go out to your friend. You post made me tear up a little bit because you are totally right. The things that do matter, matter a whole lot. Thanks for that reminder.

Kellie DeMille said...

I am so sorry for your friend. I worry about having to bury a child all the time. I don't know if I could handle it. Thanks for the reminder to take care of what matters most!

Sarah said...

Your ending sentence has stayed with me all day. How heartbreaking.

Melissa Summers said...

Thanks for sharing. We all need a little reminder every once in awhile about what is truly important.

Rachael said...

How horrible for her! I think that would be the worst thing to go through...burying a child! I am so sorry for your friend!