Saturday, May 8, 2010

Butterfly Wings

So here are the butterfly wings I made for my 3 year old niece, I have purple ones that need to be sent north to Alaska for my 5 year old niece. The one in Alaska got it in her head that I could make her butterfly wings and I really didn't want to disappoint! The problem with most tutorials I found online is that they use wire...seems like that isn't the safest thing for kids or the easiest thing to work with. So after wandering around the fabric store I found what I needed- heavy weight pellon for the wings with one side fusible, pretty satin fabric, sheer fabric with little diamond shiny bits in it, and double sided fusible webbing. So most of it simply required ironing and sewing only around the perimeter of the wings. I used ribbon sewn to the back to tie around the shoulders for it to stay on, but I think next time I would use elastic.
Here is Michael, kind enough to model for me.
I think it goes well with his 4x4 pajamas, don't you?

5 comments:

Judy said...

You'll have to send me the site on how to make these... I *need* them for Katelyn. :) So cute.

Kellie DeMille said...

Those are adorable!!

Sarah said...

They go very well with the P.J.'s!

Rachael said...

So cute! Again, your talent amazes me!

Maggie said...

You are my hero!!! They are adorable!!!